Lots to cover today.
- My golf swing. Totally in the tank. I am lost in the golf wilderness. And that’s just at the range!
- Fifth back surgery for Tiger. Pain started again at the Father-Son/Daughter tourney. He may still play in the Masters, from what his friend Notah Begay says.
- Angel Cabrerra arrested in Brazil. Extradicted to Argentina where he faces some serious charges.
- Kevin Na takes the Sony walking to the cup as the putt still rolls.
- Ralph Lauren cancels sponsorship of Justin Thomas after he muttered a homophobic slur after he blew a putt.
- Annika Sorenstam and Gary Player accept Presidential Medal of Honor from Trump a day after the 1/6/21 insurrection on the Capitol which he has been accused of inciting by the House of Representatives.
- Bryson DeChambeau offers warning for golfers chasing distance in the gym. You can’t just workout and expect to make massive distance gains without injury.
- Statistician Lou Stagner of Decade Sports has declared that the average driving distance for all male golfers is 217 yards.
Jordan Speith, as he attempts to recover the form that earned him three majors and the world’s No. 1 ranking, said: “When you hit however many tens of thousands of golf balls kind of the wrong way, it takes about that many to get stuff back,” he said on the Gravy & the Sleeze show on SiriusXM PGA Tour Radio. “It’ll be a work in progress.” Specifically, the 27-year-old went in-depth on how he’s been working hard on his right elbow position.
- Jordan’s sometime coach Butch Harmon checked his swing, thought everything looked pretty good except he “didn’t think that he was turning enough.” Maybe that’s my problem as well.
- Another of Butch’s student, Danielle Kang, looks solid at this week’s Diamond Resorts Tournament of Champions. She leads by two nearing the end of round three. Butch has guided her well over the past few years.
- The leader of Iran has threatened to assassinate Donald Trump while he is playing golf. He’s pissed about Trump ordering the assassination of an important Iranian military leader last year. No comment yet from Trump or his staff in Palm Springs. Golf is a tough game, and obviously more dangerous than I’d imagined!
Have a good week. Enjoy the mid winter TV golf, unless you live in warmer climes, you lucky dogs.